Smart doorbells have become increasingly common over the years. Many homes have them, and many homeowners swear by them. This is because smart doorbells provide homeowners with several benefits, including:
- Can deter burglars
- Provides video evidence for law enforcement
- Confirms when packages have been delivered
- You can see who is at the door even if you aren’t at home
- Night vision so that you can see what’s going on around your home at night
- Can save you money on your homeowners’ insurance
In some cases, when homeowners purchase smart doorbells, they do so with the idea that they can and will install it themselves. However, because properly installing smart doorbells generally requires electrical work, it can be dangerous for anyone who isn’t an electrician to attempt installation. Instead, if you want to install a smart doorbell, your best bet is to hire a professional electrician to do it for you. That will ensure that you remain safe and the job is done right.
Benefits of Hiring an Electrician to Install Your Smart Doorbell
There are several advantages to having an electrician install your smart doorbell instead of doing it yourself. The following are a few of the benefits of hiring an electrician to install a smart doorbell:
- Safety – Most people do not have the equipment, knowledge, or experience to conduct proper electrical installation. This means that they can’t do it safely, which could result in them suffering a severe injury or worse. Also, even if improper electrical work doesn’t result in immediate injury, it can lead to safety issues down the road for the homeowner or others who use the doorbell.
- Cost-Effectiveness – Installing a smart doorbell sometimes requires using tools that many homeowners don’t already own. Buying that equipment can be expensive, especially when compared with hiring an electrician. In addition, since many homeowners don’t have experience performing electrical work, they may make costly mistakes during the installation process that a professional electrician wouldn’t make. Also, many electricians provide warranties for their work, which means that maintenance and repairs could be much less costly in the future if you hire an electrician to perform the installation.
- Efficiency – Generally, homeowners aren’t electrical experts, so when they perform electrical work, it can take them longer than it would a professional electrician. That’s why hiring an electrician to install your smart doorbell can save you time. You won’t have to deal with the frustration of figuring out how to properly install the doorbell on the fly or getting something wrong and having to start over. An experienced electrician can show up, properly install the doorbell, and be out of your hair in no time.
In some cases, when an electrician installs a smart doorbell, they may need to install a new doorbell transformer as well. A doorbell transformer regulates the amount of electrical voltage that the doorbell receives. Someone who doesn’t have experience performing electrical work wouldn’t recognize if a new doorbell transformer needs to be installed or not. This could result in the doorbell receiving too much or too little electrical voltage, which could damage it and/or prevent it from working properly.
Need Help Installing a Smart Doorbell? Contact Our Experienced Electricians Today
At Mel Carr Electric, our licensed and experienced electricians have been providing customers in Albany and surrounding communities with high quality electrical services for more than 45 years. Our top priorities are customer safety and satisfaction. To learn more about Mel Carr Electric, read our reviews and Code of Ethics.
For more information about smart doorbells, and how we can help you with doorbell installation, maintenance, and repair, call us at 518.500.3042 or reach out to us online today to schedule an appointment with our experienced electricians.