There may still be snow on the ground, but spring is just around the corner. If this time of year puts you in the mood for some spring cleaning, the electricians at Mel Carr Electric have some tips to help! Read on for useful ways to keep your electrical system in mind this spring cleaning season. You’ll be glad you did!
- Redirect your Ceiling Fan. While you’re up on your ladder dusting the fan blades, take a look at the small switch on the fan base. Flip this switch so that your fan will run in a counterclockwise direction. This will push the cool air down and create a cooling breeze, making your room feel up to 8 degrees cooler while using less electricity. When the weather turns cool again, reverse the direction of your ceiling fan so that it rotates in a clockwise direction, drawing the air up and gently forcing the warm air down.
- Replace the batteries in your Smoke and CO detectors. This is an important task that should be done at least once a year. These units can get dirty so gently dust with your vacuum hose attachment. The USFA recommends testing your smoke alarms once a month and replacing each unit when they are 10 years old. The manufacture date can be found on the inside of most smoke alarms.
- Inspect all electrical cords for signs of damage. Cords that are fraying or that have loose plugs should be repaired by a professional or replaced right away. And be sure you are not using extension cords for long-term power. An electrician can add additional outlets so that you have safe and convenient power right where you need it.
- Check for signs of mold and mildew. Is there mildew on your bathroom ceiling? This is could be an indication that more ventilation is needed. Installing a bathroom exhaust fan can help remove excess moisture from your bathroom and prevent future mildew build up.
- When you’re clearing out the clutter, don’t store items and boxes near your electrical panel. It is very important to leave plenty of space leading up to and around your panel so you have quick and easy access to it.
Keeping your electrical system in mind this spring cleaning season can help keep your family and your home comfortable and safe this spring and throughout the year. For a free quote on your next electrical project, big or small, call the friendly experts at Mel Carr Electric!