Summer is well underway, and if you’re like most people, you’re probably looking forward to spending more time outside after being cooped up in your home for so long. If your house has a patio, porch, or deck, it’s an ideal way to enjoy the nice weather while still being safe and practicing social distancing. But what about at night?
If you’re not able to relax by the pool/hot tub or take advantage of your grilling station even after it gets dark out, then you’re not maximizing your property’s potential this summer. Keep reading for our top five home outdoor lighting tips, and remember that you can always trust our professional electricians at Mel Carr Electric for safe and effective services.
Our Top 5 Outdoor Home Lighting Tips:
1. Put Safety Before Everything: As we’ve talked about on our blog before, safety is paramount when putting up lights outside of your home. Of course, this could also be the rule of thumb with anything related to electricity (i.e. safety always comes first.) Regardless, you should not use lights that are prone to damage from the weather. More importantly, you should make sure your lighting is installed somewhere people will see it when they go out, illuminating pathways, stairs, and other areas people need visibility. You should also consider this in conjunction with…
2. Use Lights to Beef Up Security: Putting your lights on a timer, rigging them to detect motion, and shining them in places where they are likely to discourage intruders are all great ways to use lights to not only make your property more comfortable, but also more secure.
3. Save Energy with LED Bulbs: You can create pretty much any kind of lighting scheme you want outside the house, but the one thing you should do for every property is use energy-efficient LED light bulbs. LEDs last longer than other types of bulbs. They also use less energy and therefore save money, making them a great choice if you’re going to be outside a lot. Moreover, LEDs are now available for virtually every kind of light fixture and apparatus you can think of.
4. Customize for Your Needs: You may want certain areas of your exterior property to be brighter than others at night. For instance, the cool lighting you would want for your pool is likely to stand in stark contrast to the bright lights you’re going to shine out front. That’s why you should always think before making any rash decisions about outdoor lighting, and talk to someone who knows what they’re doing. This brings us to our last point…
5. Hire a Professional: At Mel Carr Electric, our lighting installation pros have everything it takes to assist you with all your outdoor lighting needs. We use LED lighting on every job, and from landscape lighting to traditional lamp posts, you can count on our electricians to have the skills and experience to get the job done.
Upgrade your outdoor lighting today! Call (518) 500-3042 now, or contact us for more info online.