Summer is almost here and that means spending more time outside and in backyard swimming pools. While electrical safety is important year round, we think this is a great time of year to review some pool safety tips. To have peace of mind and protect your family, here are some things to keep in mind.
Pool Safety Tips
- Use only battery-operated products around the pool.
- Be careful of overhead power lines. Your pool should not be installed within 25 feet of overhead power lines and long handled poles and tools should be kept away from them as well. You should also keep these tools and poles held as low to the ground as possible.
- Always avoid touching any electrical items or wires when you are wet or are touching wet surfaces.
- Keep electric cords, wires and products at least 5 feet from the water.
- Regularly inspect your pool lights for cracks or mold on the inside of the lens which could indicate a leak.
- Make sure all outdoor receptacles are covered and are GFCI protected. These offer the best protection against electrocution. They should be tested at least once a month to make sure they are operating properly.
- Have a licensed electrician inspect and upgrade your pool or hot tub wiring to ensure it is safe and meets NEC requirements.
It can be easy to overlook, but electrical safety is very important, especially around water. The electricians at Mel Carr Electric are safety experts. We can do a complete check-up on your pool’s pump, filter, heating and lighting and make sure everything is working properly. Don’t miss out on time you could be swimming this summer and call today!